Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Kangaroos


I know this may seem like a random topic to throw in at this point, but I found inspiration somewhere and would like to talk about kangaroos in Australia.

Before my visit to Australia in 2010 (which, by the way, was an amazing trip that I cannot wait to tell you all about it in future posts), I can’t recall ever seeing a live Kangaroo. The only image I had of the animal was in cartoon form, with a huge grin, bouncing all over the place with boxing gloves. I also remember them being fairly easy to draw.

Coming across a kangaroo in real life was so similar to those cartoon images (minus the goofy cartoon grin and boxing gloves) that it was almost unbelievable. As detailed on the Outback Australia Travel Guide, male kangaroos “box” when they play, as well as when they compete with other kangaroos (over the attention of the lady folk). It also states that kangaroos cannot move backwards, they are the only large animal that moves by hopping, and their tail is used for balance and as a fifth limb. I'm also fairly certain they are generally happy creatures. 

Kangaroo at Dusk from freeaussiestock.com

Kangaroos, being one of Australia’s most iconic animals, as stated by the Government of Australia, are found in all areas of the country. This is pretty amazing in terms of adaptation and considering the numerous eco-systems that make up Australia. The population of kangaroos consists of about 60 different species as a result of these adaptations (visit the Government of Australia site if you are interested in more information). 

While travelling along the highways in Australia, you could come across a kangaroo around every corner. Unfortunately, they have a similar fate as deer do on the Trans-Canada highway (this may be where I link this blog to my last post) and you often see deceased kangaroo on the side of the road. It is highly recommended in Australia (not 100% sure if it’s enforced by law but if anyone knows, please comment!) that if you hit a Kangaroo on the highway, you should stop to see if it was a female. Since the females carry baby kangaroos or 'joeys' in their pouch, it is important to see if they are still in the pouch and alive. FAUNA (Fostercare of Australia's Unique Native Animals Association Inc.) suggests that you pull the joey out, wrap it in a warm cloth and contact FAUNA immediately if you find yourself in this situation. 


If anyone has any other fun facts on kangaroos, I would love to know!

2 comments:

  1. Great post on an iconic animal from down under! It is a shame that kangaroos are often hit by vehicles. The outback is too wide open (I imagine) for an overpass system like they have in Banff to be effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post. Did you know that a group of Kangaroos is known as a mob? I agree with Logan, it is a shame that they are hit by cars and that the problem seems unavoidable. I one day hope that I can see a "mob" in their natural habitat.

    ReplyDelete