Monday, October 29, 2012

I left my heart in San Francisco

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to travel to San Francisco with my parents, aunt, uncle and cousin. We were in the bay area for just over a week, and I can not wait to go back and explore the city more. We went in August, and to my surprise it was much colder than I had anticipated for summer in California. Apparently the chilly weather is completely normal for that time of year, but it never once damped our spirits.

One of my favorite experiences in San Fran was going to a Major League Baseball game. Never being much of a baseball fan before, I was not very excited for this part of our trip. As we hopped on the cable car to get to AT&T park, the fog burnt off,  leaving us with the hottest day of our trip. As soon as we got near the stadium, the atmosphere in the air changed. Excitement was all around us, as fans - clad in orange and black - tromped into their seats.

The innings past by in a flash (much different than watching baseball on TV!) and we were lucky enough to experience a textbook baseball game. Not only did the Giants beta the Cubs, but they got a grand slam and a splash hit, both which are quite rare. Enjoying a hot dog and an ice cold beer was something our family was able to cross off our bucket lists', leaving us all with an experience we will never forget.

Splash Hit #54 (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

The view from our seats at AT&T Park - San Francisco Gaints VS Chicago Cubs (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

As we continued our travels around the lovely San Francisco, we visited many interesting places, including Lombard Street, Haight & Ashbury, Alcatraz, as well as biked across the Golden Gate Bridge to the quaint town of Sausalito. San Fran is an amazingly beautiful city, filled with wonderful people and wonderful food. For anyone who loves seafood - visiting the Bay area is a must. 

I could go on about everything we did there, but this post would be much to long, so I will leave you with a few of my favorite pictures from the trip - enjoy!

The most amazing bistro food at BOUDIN. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

Exploring the piers. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

The famous Lombard Street. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

The Painted Ladies. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

We found this tiny little area in the middle of a public park filled with plants potted in shoes. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

View from the Golden Gate Bridge. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

Haight & Ashbury. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)

From the inside looking out - Alcatraz Island. (Myhre, Rebecca. 2010)


4 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your trip to San Francisco. It is truly one of the most iconic citys of California and I really hope to travel there some day. I have seen the street cars in movies, but have always wanted to ride in one. Major league baseball games are an amazing experience and its awesome that you saw a grand slam take place. Also,did you know that denim jeans were invented in San Francisco?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I think you would really enjoy San Fran, they have something to offer everyone there. As Kara said below, she has never met anyone who didn't love vacationing there.

      The cable cars were such a unique experience. I felt like I was breaking the rules hanging off the side of a moving vehicle - a complete norm on the cable cars! Definitely a unique experience.

      I did not know that jeans were invented there, but looking back it explains the abundance of Levi jeans in the area - it seemed like that was the only brand there! Thanks for the fact!

      Delete
  2. Reading about your trip to San Fransisco makes me feel nostalgic. I traveled there myself back in July of 2009 and it was a wonderful trip. I participated in the same activities as yourself, except I didn't attend a baseball game. I have never been a fan of baseball either but live sports games are always fun to attend!

    I was also fortunate enough to visit Sausalito. I thought the small town was also really pretty. If I went back to San Fransisco I would definitely go back there too.

    There is something about the city that really does steal your heart. It's such a beautiful city full of new things to do. Although I don't think I'd ever want to live there, it would be great to go back. I know quite a few people that have also visited San Fransisco and all of them have absolutely loved it. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't love vacationing there!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, I don't think I would want to live in San Francisco, I can see myself going back again and again. Next time I go (I hope there will be a next time) I would love to go outside the city and into the country side - Wine country! So much to do and see, it truly is a fantastic city.

      Delete