Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Exchange Program .. Yes or No?

Mount Royal Universities International Exchange Program


Mount Royal, has a wonderful exchange program, where for one semester, a student can choose to study in another part of the world.  Students here can chose to go to twenty four different countries, and pick from seventy nine universities.  Pretty cool, hey?

Photo Taken by OpenCage.  Retrieved October 24, 2012 from http://opencage.info/pics.e/large_3176.asp

The issue I see with exchange programs, are why would you go to another country to study?  I seriously spend a good 60% of each day in my classes, or doing homework  If I went to another country, such as Japan, Brazil, or Australia I would want to be spending my time sight seeing, enjoying myself, and relaxing, not sitting in a classroom, listening to a three hour lecture, like I currently do.

When our school had a club day in the main hallway, I visited the exchange program booth for more information.  I talked to a girl who had gone to Japan for her student exchange, and she had nothing but good things to say about it.  One of the main selling points of the booth was that an exchange to another University allows you to have new experiences, such as meeting new people, who may see the world differently than you do.  This makes sense, yet I found it difficult enough adjusting to MRU this September, as a first year student; if I was studying abroad, my main concern would probably be figuring out where things are, and my teachers expectations for assignments, not meeting new people.  Obviously grades are very important in University, and I wouldn't want to jeopardize my marks by placing myself in an scenario in which there may be too many stressful aspects or distractions or to high of a stress level.  I wouldn't want to add an extra year or semester onto my four year degree. 

Photo Taken by Ian Britton.  Retrieved October 24, 2012 from http://www.freefoto.com/preview/1351-06-2/Books--Shakespeare-and-Company-Bookstore--The-Latin-Quarter--Paris
 
I also feel selecting classes in another University may prove to be difficult.  For example, I am wanting to major in Psychology, and I had a terrible time on the twenty third trying to pick classes for this school.  I waited until twelve o'clock at night, and seriously stayed up until two thirty in the morning, as many classes were closed or had a weight list anywhere from thirteen to twenty three people.  So, what would it be like to pick classes in a University in China?  Difficult, I imagine.

With an international exchange, I would most likely have to quit my job, which I would not want to do.  I need to be making money each week, not spending it.  With an exchange, I realize that I would be paying the same tuition as I currently do, but it's the living expenses that presents an issue.  Currently I live with my parents, and do not pay for groceries or rent.  If I went on an exchange, my parents would no longer help me out with these things.

I'm sure an exchange would be amazing, but it's just not something I could see realistically happening.  For me, there appears to be more negatives then positives.  Although, if I was ever able to conjure up the money, get my parents approval, and felt that my work load for an up-coming semester wasn't too heavy, I would choose to go to Australia.  I would much rather go to Australia on my own time though, when I am not a student.  Five classes is just way to much to balance while being in a totally new environment.

Taken by Suzanne Photography.  Retrieved October 24, 2012 from http://suzanneschechtman.com/Photography/index.htm.

I would love to hear your opinion on international student exchange programs.  Have any of you gone on one or are planning to go on one?  I would love for someone to attempt to change my mind.  In a way, I do see the importance of trying new things, and getting exposure to different places, people, and cultures. 

4 comments:

  1. I completely understand your opinion on exchange program. It is for all the reasons you have mentioned that have held me back from going on one as well. However, I have a friend who is currently on an exchange, and his experience is changing my attitude towards them.

    He is studying Business in Prague, and to avoid over-stressing, he chose to only take four classes, rather than 5. Also, choosing elective or option classes, which tend to be easier for students, has lightened his course load. He has been there since September, and along with going to classes and doing homework, he has traveled to multiple countries all over Europe, experiencing something he will never be able to again.

    I think that an exchange program would be invaluable in terms of experience, and worth the amount of extra money it would cost. I think it is possible to make the exchange as easy as possible, in terms of stress about school work, and there are multiple resources to help you along every step of the way when you choose to go on an exchange, helping choose classes and so forth.

    Not sure if that will convince you, but just some food for thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Riley!
    I think that student exchange programs are one of the best ways to travel and experience new places, especially at this stage in life - being young enough to do it and enjoy it.
    I personally have never done one, but friends of mine who have, highly recommend it.
    I totally understand how money could be an issue, but student exchange programs often have many scholarships you could apply for if you really wanted to make it work. Student loans also aren't the worst thing in the world, especially when you look back on the amazing experience. Another benefit is that when you travel on a student exchange with a student visa you get an extended stay in the country as well as the option to work there.
    Through classes you would meet so many people and make life long friends, so I wouldn't let that hold you back.
    You also mentioned that you wouldn't want to extend your degree by taking fewer classes, but I bet you change your mind when you land down under. The longer you take to finish your degree, the more time you get to spend in Aus potentially ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Riley,

    I had the same attitude towards an exchange program as well when I first heard about it. I thought that there was no way I could save up enough money to fly to another country, pay for my classes, food, and travel on weekends. After talking to a few people that have done the exchange program I have completely changed my mind about studying abroad in another country. From what I’ve heard it sounds like something that everyone should be able to experience in their lifetime. It allows you to experience a new culture and make life long friends with people from different places in the world. I know for a fact that I would personally regret not doing an exchange when I get older. You may lose your job or you may not, but by having international experience on your resume you will be one step ahead of everyone else.

    If I do end up going on exchange I plan on saving up enough money for the next two years so that I will be able to afford the expenses and I also plan on taking only 3 option classes to finish off my degree so I wont have to worry about school as much. I know it requires a lot of planning but in the end I believe it will be well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comments Becca, Megan and Mateo! You guys brought up some great points!

    ReplyDelete