Wednesday, October 31, 2012

If You're Going to San Francisco...

As mentioned in my last post, I was recently in San Francisco. It is a SUPER COOL city, and I really hope you all get a chance to visit. 

Most of you are probably familiar with the main tourist attractions, including:
  • Golden Gate Bridge
  • Alcatraz Island
  • Fisherman's Wharf
  • Lombard Street
  • SF Giants
... just to name a few. 

It looks like beccamyhre already did a FABULOUS job describing some of these under, "I left my heart in San Francisco", so I will share a few other SF tidbits with you.


Golden Gate Bridge (Merriam, Megan. 2008)

For getting around SF, you may want to pick up a Muni Passport or CityPass. For $20, it is good for all street cars and buses for 3 consecutive days. You can get this pass at Walgreens. The one draw back is that you can't use it to get on the train (BART). To use the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit), you have to pay each time based on the distance you are going. One thing to be aware of with the BART is that you have to start by inserting $20, and then clicking the minus sign to lower the price until it's shows what you actually owe. It is usually under $4, so don't forget your change.

For getting from the airport, the BART is easy to use and much cheaper than a taxi. It will easily get you to Embarcadero which is close to most downtown hotels. The system is very similar to Vancouver (just to give you a comparison). 

On Tuesday and Thursday mornings, the Ferry Building Marketplace, is a market that is worth checking out. You can find it on Embarcadero and Market Street. 

On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, a $10 all-you-can-eat buffet is available at the Tonga Room, from 5pm to 7pm. It has happy hour prices for drinks as well, which is pretty cool, considering 'happy hour' no longer exists here. It is located in the basement of the Fairmont Hotel. They have a band that plays after 8, which costs $5 dollars. The ambiance is unique and it is pretty entertaining (they have canoes hanging from the roof!). 

Telegraph Hill is a great spot for a view of the city. It's on Filbert and Kearny in North Beach. Look for the loud wild parrots up top! This spot is a bit tough to get to. There is a bus, but I can't seem to remember the number (if anyone knows?).

As for shopping, Union Square is probably the best spot. I think I spent 3 days of my trip in that area alone. 


Union Square - Time to Shop! (Merriam, Megan. 2012)

If you are interested in sailing (and the weather permits), I would recommend Ohana Sailing. The owners are from Alberta (friendly Canadian faces!), and they meet you in Sausalito. As for GETTING to Saualito, I recommend going to Blazing Saddles and renting bikes to cross the Golden Gate (takes a couple hours or so). 

Does anyone have anything to share that's SF related? I would love to hear some suggestions for great restaurants and night life!

1 comment:

  1. I love that multiple people have visited San Francisco! I have been before, but I didn't appreciate the trip as much as I should have. I definitely enjoyed my trip, but I didn't do any of the typical touristy things because I was visiting my ex-roommate. I probably had a very different trip than Megan and Becca because I stayed in a homeless shelter! I went to local art shows and parties, drank in dive bars and lived like the locals do.

    See my friend Cami worked in a homeless shelter in the Tenderloin (the bad part of town). She was taking a break from university, and I had just started traveling, so I was happy to have a place to stay for free! I really enjoyed my trip but I would also love to go back! I'm hoping to go back at the end of August with my boyfriend so thanks for all of the tips!

    The one thing that is an unexpected tourist destination in San Francisco is City Hall. Google the pictures of it. It's really pretty! People travel from all over the world to get married there, so it's pretty unique. Check it out next time you're there!

    ReplyDelete