Tuesday, October 30, 2012

following my feet...

Over the last few years, I have gotten into the habit of taking a photo of my feet wherever I travel. I know it sounds like a very strange thing to do, but it has quickly become my favorite way to record my memories from the places I visit. I just love the simplicity of showing only my feet on the ground, with just a snippit of the place on which I am standing. My feet are my method of transportation, and they are what allows me to continue to travel with such ease - and before anyone asks, I do NOT have a foot fetish hahaha. I have collected over 100 photos collected so far, in places varying from around my hometown of Calgary, in and around the Rocky Mountains, and as far as the sandy beaches of Mexico.

Walking through the mud at Tolman Campground, AB | Road trippin' - Rossport, ON - Lake Superior | Lombard St, San Francisco, California, USA | My brothers wedding at Playa Mujeres, Mexico | Home, Calgary, AB | My friends house, Calgary, AB | The hammock life - Eau Claire Campground, AB | Remembering my great grandmother Clara in her hometown of Cold Lake, AB | Arriving after a hike up to Elbow Lake, AB

My friend & I on a "beach" on the Red Deer River.
Often I will include other people in my shots, highlighting who I was with on any given adventure. This is an important part for me, as the people I surround myself with are very important to me. My friends and family are what I consider the most important aspect of my life, so including those close to me is a significant aspect of this form of memory keepsake. 

Waiting for our hotel in Victoria 
As I continue to travel, if I am lucky enough, I would love to continue to build this database, recording the places I have been throughout my lifetime. I consider this similar to collecting sand from different beaches visited, but photographs can be taken anywhere, where sand is limited to beaches. Eventually I would like to travel around Europe, and think this would be a wonderful way to capture where I travel. 

I have all these pictures, however I am at a loss of what to do with them. Currently, they are all in a folder on my computer, but I want to display my collection somehow, so if any of you have suggestions on how to do that - please let me know!!

3 comments:

  1. What a neat travel tradition! Your collection of photos is quite a...feat! :-)

    Perhaps make a photobook from a website like Blurb.

    http://lp.blurb.ca/gpb-gen?ce=google_can_photo_canada&b_medium=cpc&b_source=google&b_campaign=CA_EN_Photo&b_term=photobooks%20canada&gclid=CNftqsbusbMCFdEWMgodUkoApA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Logan, what a great idea! I had never considered making a book from my pictures before, but I think that would be a great way to display all the places I have visited - thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this idea. I think you should do a sort of collage and hang it in your house. It can be a work of art that everyone can enjoy and a great conversation piece. The best part of it being a collage is you can always add on to it.

    ReplyDelete