Monday, December 3, 2012

Greece


When I was a young girl I began reading a beloved series of books, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. These books were about adventure, friendship, and most importantly boys. However as I invested more time into developing these stories in my mind I also became enriched by one specific culture that is predominate in the series, the Greeks. The books dive into the lavish country side, the family orientated culture, and the amazing cuisine; it was then I knew I HAD to visit this place!
Photo Credit: Simon


As I learned more about Greece, and its countryside, it became clear to me that I didn’t just want to visit the fictional place I had created in my mind. I wanted to visit the real Greece! I wanted to explore the sites and learn all about the historical background of the land, and the more I read the more I was hooked.

 Some specific places I would like to visit include:


Photo Credit: JohnBurke
File:Plato Silanion Musei Capitolini MC1377.jpg
Photo Credit: Marie-Lan Nguyen
·         The Ancient Olympia Museum. At this museum you can uncover the hidden secrets of Greek history and its religion. Olympia is also where the Olympic Games were founded, and the museum contains remnants of excavations from the very ground on which the museum has been built around. It also contains many historical statues of Zeus and many of the other gods the people of the time worshiped.

And

·         The site of Plato’s Academy. As one of the first schools I would love to visit this place that was so instrumental in ancient society. While thousands of years have taken a toll on the physical buildings, the history is still embedded in the soil in which it was on. I would love to visit this place to have the ability to say I did and see things that the ancient philosopher Plato may have drawn inspiration from.



Of course the breathtaking scenery of Greece is also something I want to experience. However I find this history of this small region to be absolutely fascinating and I am excited to learn more!


No comments:

Post a Comment