Monday, December 3, 2012

Australian Adventures Part 1


A few years ago I spent six weeks in Adelaide South Australia. It was the most amazing experience to date despite an excruciatingly painful flight.  The flight started in Calgary where we flew for three hours and landed in Los Angeles.  We then spent an hour traveling on foot and electric walkways moving from one terminal to the next only to spend a long seven hours sitting around waiting for a connecting flight.  We boarded a huge plane in LA and spent the next 8 hours flying over the ocean to Taipei, Japan. Here we were required to deplane for refueling and so we went in search of something to eat. With the language barrier and unfamiliarity with Japanese food, I still have no idea what I ate however, I can tell you it wasn’t the best meal I have ever consumed that is for sure.  Once the plane was refueled we re-boarded and continued flying for another eight hours to Singapore.  Once in Singapore, we spent the next 12 hours wandering around an amazing airport with incredible shopping.

To see all that the Singapore airport offers visit the following interactive map. http://www.changiairport.com/imapswf/imap.html

Singapore is known for having so many long layovers that they built the most amazing airport that keeps you totally occupied and spending money. You can shop, get your hair done, have a massage (full body not just the neck like most airports), pedicures (with an amazing substance that turns to gel around your feet), they even have a pool and workout room. We chose to escape the airport scene and took one of the many free tours around the island. Another popular feature offered through the Singapore airport. From a tourism standpoint this is a fabulous idea as people who may only ever pass through Singapore get a chance to experience the Island and possibly make it a future holiday destination.  After our twelve hours in Singapore we finally continued on the last leg of our over thirty-hour adventure.

Arriving in Australia exhausted and sore from the long flight, I was shocked at what happened next. The Adelaide airport was being expanded to accommodate larger planes so the only way off the plane was to walk down a never-ending set of metal stairs on what I believe is an angle against any countries acceptable code, the scariest set of stairs a klutz like me has ever seen. I made it to the ground safe and sound and continued my walk into the tiniest airport I have ever seen. I was sure we had landed in Bedrock City and the Flinstones were going to show up at any minute! Finally, after four long months at home with my dad, I am reunited with my mother who is attending an Australian University to become a midwife. My little sister and I would spend the next six weeks visiting mom and exploring beautiful Australia. Mom has already explored some of the area and she and her friends knew the best hot spots to take us. Koalas, Kangaroos, and spiders oh my……. 

No comments:

Post a Comment