Monday, December 3, 2012

Flight Attendant's Benefits = Wow


       It is two thirty in the morning when I awoke to the violent vibrations of my phone. I answer the phone and my friend Mack is on the other line. He begins to speak very excitedly (much too excited for 2 am).  He then asks me a question that I will never forget. He asks me " Kyle what are you doing in two hours!?". I reply saying that i will most likely be sleeping. He then replied "wake up and pack a backpack with clothing, a sleeping bag and necessities that you will require for three days". At this point I had the weekend off from work so I hesitantly got out of bed and started packing. Within an hour he came to my door step with a large back pack on. I threw my backpack on as well and we left my house leaving a note for my father saying " Dear dad, me and Mack are going away for three days, I will call you and let you know where we are at tommorow".

      Me and him threw our bags in the back seat of his decrepit Honda and away we go. After a couple minutes I finally ask him what the hell we are doing and where we are going. He hands me a plane ticket registered under my name. Shocked, i opened it up.  The plane ticket read "Arrives in Vancouver international airport at 7 am". I asked him how the hell he could afford a plane ticket with this little of notice. He told me that his mom had just gotten a job with a new airline company as a flight attendant and he asked her to book him two tickets the day before, one of which was for me.  I asked him what being a flight attendant had to do with anything? Needless to say, me and my friend flew from Calgary to Vancouver for the price most people would pay in GST  at their local mall.


http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&rlz=1C1SAVA_enCA499CA499&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=7dWPWnzm3aHCyM:&imgrefurl=http://hieterlab.msl.ubc.ca/picture-gallery/&docid=aeUkfGg39XfR2M&imgurl=http://hieterlab.msl.ubc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/sunset-Beach.jpg&w=489&h=360&ei=iTW9ULu8NKiMiALmqYGQBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=851&vpy=161&dur=9&hovh=193&hovw=262&tx=87&ty=126&sig=101636535578839645397&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=183&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:149

^One of the beaches me and my friend visited.

   We arrived at the airport 45 minutes later and then slept in the uncomfortable airport seats until our plane left. With 45 dollars in my pocket me and my friend set foot out of Vancouver airport. We figured out the bus routes and immediately started our journey to the ocean. After an incredibly confusing transit experience in a foreign city we arrived at some random beach. After hanging out on the beach during a beautiful B.C. day me and Mack decided to explore the surrounding areas. We quickly found a cozy supermarket owned by a Japanese couple and spent about 30 dollars on ramen noodles,water and other food items. With a pot that we bought from a second hand store, as well as two bowls and plastic utensils.  We traveled to a park much like fish creek via transit and built a fire with dead fall where we boiled water and made dinner. After dinner it became dark outside so we decided to pull out our sleeping bags we brought with us and lay by the fire until we fell asleep. After two more days much like the first one we traveled back to the airport and got on a plane back to Calgary.


http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&rlz=1C1SAVA_enCA499CA499&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=jymasnGXvibbKM:&imgrefurl=http://www.intervistas.com/%3Fportfolio%3Dcalgary-airport-authority-support-for-airport-hotel-development&docid=Y_HHDI6j0o_50M&imgurl=http://www.intervistas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Slide-158_3_cr.jpg&w=630&h=300&ei=OzW9UPSfNunZigKAvYCQBQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=375&vpy=295&dur=725&hovh=155&hovw=326&tx=181&ty=79&sig=101636535578839645397&page=2&tbnh=136&tbnw=272&start=18&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:33,s:0,i:201

^ Calgary International Airport

      The moral of this story is that people who work as flight attendants are able to book plane tickets at ridiculously inexpensive prices allowing for impulsive travelling and many new memories.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment