Tuesday, December 4, 2012


As my last blog, I thought this one should be the most important. When I was 6 my family moved to Texas we originally planned on staying for 3 years, but ended up living there for 6. So though my hometown is Calgary, Alberta; Texas will always be where I grew up.  Which brings me to my next vacation; I want to take my boyfriend, Brandon, to see where I grew up The Woodlands, Texas.
Photo Credit: Right Step

The Woodlands is a small town located 45 minutes north of Houston. However do not let the size fool you! This is no regular ‘small southern town’. It is mostly filled with oil executives who commute to work every day and other types of professionals.  It is also home to some of the most beautifully constructed houses I have ever seen. Sports, like football, are prominent in the culture but there is also a large emphasis placed on baseball and swimming. The grass is always green and a regular ‘winter’ day can be 29o Celsius, it was paradise.
Photo Credit: Stephanie Miller (me)

First I would take Brandon on a tour of my three fabulous houses that I lived in. As we walked around we would also pass my elementary school and middle school. A large part of who I am came from these homes, how I grew when I lived in them, and what I learned from school while I was there. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of them to share with you guys today.
 

Photo Credit: Lord of Life Lutheran Church
Then I would take him to my church, Lord of Life Lutheran. Though before we moved we had a congregation here in Calgary, Texas is the first place that I truly remember worshiping God and learning the traditional children’s stories. From Noah’s ark to Moses in Egypt this was where I discovered my faith.
 
 
 
Finally, and most importantly, I would take him to meet my childhood friends. Though some of us have lost contact throughout the years I still maintain many close relationships.

(Pictured here my 'Texas' Family, The Burkets)
Photo Credit: Stephanie Miller (me)

My years in The Woodlands were some of the best of my life and I think it is important to share that with my boyfriend. Even though the other trips I have planned will be lavish and beautiful, this one is by far the closest to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment