Thursday, November 1, 2012

Two Olympics, Two Great Travel Experiences (Part One)


The 2010 Olympic Winter Games- Vancouver
(Part One of Two) 

My mom and I enjoying the 2010 Olympics! 

It always begins with red.  Into my suitcase goes a steady stream of Canada hats, Canada hockey jerseys, Canada t-shirts, Canada PJs and even Canada-themed boxers!

That is how I have packed for the last two Olympics! After my previous post on sports travel, it was requested I write more on my experience at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. I have been very fortunate to attend both!  Read on my accounts of two fascinating sporting events that captured attention around the globe!  

I won my trip to Vancouver 2010 through Molson’s Facebook page!  Molson was the official brewery of the Olympics. Wow, did they ever pack an incredible itinerary into four days! 

I took my mom on that trip with me. She “took me” to the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary…in utero! I figured that was a fair trade! J

The feeling of that trip was incredible from start to finish! I remember high-fiving flight attendants as we got on the plane. Molson then shuttled us to The Sutton Place, our beautiful hotel. We were given tons of swag, from Team Canada hockey jerseys to VIP passes to Molson Hockey House, a massive sports bar complex Molson had set up for the Olympics! My mom and I made sure to enjoy some wonderful Vancouver sushi!
Molson then gave us tickets to four events!!!

On the way to the Pacific Coliseum for short-track speed skating! 


On the way to the Pacific Coliseum, my mom and I were interviewed by a Canadian doing hockey reporting for the Australian Olympic Committee! (We are at 2:25!) Our first live event was short track speed skating, which is incredible to watch live! On TV, you don’t get a sense of the incredible speed those athletes move at!  

The heart of Canada’s Olympics was hockey, though! We began with two of the best games of the men’s preliminary tournament. I got a great shock realizing we would get to watch Czech Republic vs. Russia from a luxury box! The game was fast-paced and it was a blast watching Russian and Czech fans going crazy in the stands! In the elevator heading down after the game with us was legendary Russian goaltender Vladislav Tretiak, who played against Canada in the 1972 Summit Series!
Oh, yes!

After that came the crown jewel of the Olympic prelimnary tournament- Canada vs. the United States!
Our seats were in row #7, and there were several times I needed to pinch myself! Yep, it was real! Also, it was a really good game! Canada Hockey Place was a sea of red and white! Canada and the US traded goals, but eventually the US gained a 4-2 lead. In the third period, Sidney Crosby scored to bring Canada within one goal with four minutes to go! As the teams took a timeout, all 18 000 fans in the arena were chanting “LET’S GO CANADA!” The volume was deafening, and being a part of that crowd is something I will never forget!

 Cheering on Canada from row #7!

In the end, Canada couldn’t pull off the comeback that night. We finished off with a women’s hockey semi-final between the US and Sweden. It ended 9-1 USA!  Yikes.

My first Olympic experience was a breathtaking chance to cheer on Canada on home soil! I had no idea, I would also attend the next Olympics…

No comments:

Post a Comment