Thursday, November 1, 2012

7 Things You Don’t Need on Your Packing List

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I don’t know anyone who enjoys paying a $50+ fee at the airport when they realize their luggage is over the limit. Through some serious trial and error, I think I may have finally mastered the art of packing - especially in terms of weight management.

The following is my best list of things you can leave behind (or at least reduce), if you are looking to lighten the load.

Photo credit: Peter Tarleton http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1554051

1) Electric hairdryers, razors, toothbrushes etc.

In my opinion, electric anything is useless on vacation. Firstly, if you are on an outdoorsy/backpacking type vacation, you are physically unable to use them, so don’t bring them. If you are the type of person who HAS to blow-dry your hair on a daily basis, you probably travel hotel-style (making a general assumption here), and in this case, there is probably one in the room so no need to pack your own. Disposable razors and toothbrushes are light and much easier to pack and can usually be purchased for cheap anywhere you go. 

2) Shampoos, soaps, and lotions

If you wish to travel by carry-on only, this point won’t be an issue (check Calgary Airport guidelines on liquids here), but if you are the type of person to have  a vast variety of bathtub goodies, start unpacking now. These items are heavy, they will explode in your bag, and you never end up using as much as you bring. Buy these products there if you need them or take advantage of the hotel's supply.

3) Shoes

Think day and night. A comfortable shoe is necessary for exploring and travelling around on foot during the day. I recommend water shoes if you are going to a warmer climate (they have great support for walking and hiking, but they are still in sandal form so they are breezy), or a good pair of runners/light hiking shoes if going somewhere cooler. If you will be going out on the town for nice dinners or dancing, a dressier pair of shoes is also necessary. Ladies - heels and boots are heavy and take up a lot of space. Try to avoid packing a different shoe for each outfit.

4) Jeans

Jeans are heavy and depending on the vacation, you probably won’t even end up wearing them. If you MUST travel with a pair, bring only one, and go for dark pair (with no holes or rips) – this way you can dress them up or down, and they end up being more practical for the trip. 

5) Books

This one should be fairly obvious. If you don’t already have your iPad, Kindle or even laptop, fully loaded with your favourite books, it is time to consider making the move. If you are just that rebellious against technology, used book stores and libraries are a great thing to check out while you travel (versus packing your favourite, hard-cover, trilogies).

6) Towel

Towels are not only heavy, adding extra (and unnecessary) weight to your suitcase, but they are also BIG, and fluffy and use up space that you may not be able to sacrifice. Towels are always available at hotels, or can be purchased for fairly cheap at almost any beach destination. My favourite towel substitute (particularly for beach vacations) is a sarong. They are light and work as both a bathing suit cover-up and for beach lounging. 

7) Homework

I can’t even tell you how many times I have gone on vacation with the intention to study. I always seem to throw a textbook or two into my carry-on, drag them through the airport, and end up using them (only) as a flat service to fill out my customs form on. Quit procrastinating, and get your homework done BEFORE you leave for vacation (this might be the best/most obvious advice you hear all day).

Upon packing to go home and after realizing how many new treasures you accumulated along the way, find satisfaction in knowing you have a few pounds to spare, free of charge (excluding customs, obviously).

Feel free to contribute to the list if you have any other ideas! 

Happy packing!


3 comments:

  1. This was an awesome idea for a blog! I hadn't even thought about the fact that I generally bring homework with me, just for it to sit in my bag and weigh me down. Another interesting point I thought you had was about bringing one pair of jeans. First and foremost they are generally uncomfortable and with this day in age there are many substitutes. From now on I will be thinking more about strategy when I pack rather than what I am going to actually wear. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog idea! Yup, I would never fathom bringing homework on a trip. I must disagree with jeans, though. They are rather versitile casual pants, in my opinion. They ALWAYS go in my bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you about bringing homework as I never end up doing any while I'm on holidays. This being said the airport to me is not a vacation. The amount of hours I have spent on the plane and in the airport are hours I devote to school work if I have any. It's a great way to slowly bring yourself back to reality while at the airport on the way home too. Fun time is over and it's time to buckle down again. As sad as it is it's always worth it.

    ReplyDelete