Friday, November 30, 2012

Recent trip to Hong Kong

So during the long weekend this month, I went back to Hong Kong to visit some relatives. It's been a while since I've been back. It was nice to go back to see all the new changes and eat all the great food that have there. The main reason for the trip was for my brother's second wedding in HK for our relatives who were unable to go to the first wedding in August. I kinda wished that I stayed in HK longer (I only went for a week) considering the fact that it's a 14 hour flight.

Here are some of the photos I took during my visit to HK.

This is my favorite food in HK! I got this on the first morning I woke up in HK. It's curry fishballs, Shumais (the dim sum pork dumplings), and tripe. You can also choose from a variety of different meats (meatballs, chinese sausage, etc). The street food in HK is amazing and if you ever go to HK, I definitely recommend you going to Mong Kok to try out the unique HK street foods. There are also a lot of shopping centers here as this is one of the busiest places in HK. 
This is a pineapple bun I got while I was in Mong Kok. You can get pineapple buns here in Calgary as well but you don't get the true authentic HK taste and it comes straight out of the oven in HK. Not only that, but it only costed $5HKG which is only about 60 cents CDN.


This is the famous TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) Clock tower. A lot of tourists who visit Hong Kong come here to take photos because it is right beside Victoria Harbour. TST is also has the biggest shopping center in HK, Harbour City, that has over 700 shops in one mall.








The next two photos are photos of of Victoria Harbour which is the number 1 tourist location of Hong Kong. If you decide to visit Hong Kong in the future, definitely come here. They have night light shows here every night, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of them but if you do a Google search of HK, you'll see pictures of Victoria Harbour at night.

This is a picture of ifc, HK's tallest building and shopping center.
The two following pictures are pictures of Time Square HK. When I was there, they were setting up lego displays for their Christmas promotion.

All the upcoming photos are pictures of food and mainly desserts I ate when I was in HK. This is a picture of oven baked cheese and beef rice.
One of the best things of HK are all the dessert shops. This is a picture of fresh mango tofu dessert.
Most Chinese people are familiar with this dessert. In Chinese, it's pronounced as Tang Yuan. Its pretty much a dessert made with glutinous rice flour and inside the middle is usually filled with red bean, black sesame, or peanut butter.
This is a picture of condensed milk spring rolls. This is best served fresh when it is still hot. The condensed milk gives a nice sweet and smooth textured feel in your mouth.
This is also another famous Chinese dessert. This is a coconut milk tapioca pudding.
 The next two photos are food that I got from the airport upon my departure in Hong Kong. I had to have a last taste of HK's best foods, Pineapple Bun with iced butter, condensed milk toast, and HK style milk tea.
The last thing I got in HK were egg tarts. The egg tarts in HK are so much better than the ones we have here, mainly because you get it fresh out of the oven and the crust is homemade.

5 comments:

  1. Wow ... such interesting food choices in Hong Kong jlai. Thank you for your post, you really enlightened me! I would definitely try the spring rolls and the pineapple bun!

    And gosh 700 stores in one mall in Harbour City ... I would love to go shopping there!

    What else do tourists like to do in Hong Kong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's only one mall in one area too, there are tons of malls in Hong Kong. I wasn't even able to finish walking all of Harbour City in one day.

      Mainly, people go there for the food and shopping. Other than that, tourists usually go site seeing going to places such as Victoria harbour. They have night shows every night like in the photo in this link: http://cache.graphicslib.viator.com/graphicslib/media/d0/symphony-of-lights-victoria-harbour-hong-kong-photo_1422800-770tall.jpg

      You can also take the ferry from Victoria Harbour to visit Hong Kong Island and there are night markets all over Hong Kong.

      I personally would never move back to Hong Kong to live as there are way too many people there. Traffic there is ridiculous and is even worse in China where no one follows traffic rules. It's a great place to visit though!

      Delete
  2. Hi jlai,

    Thanks for sharing that with us! From all of the movies and pictures I've seen Hong Kong seems like a totally different world to me. i can't say I personally have any desire to travel there as it seems like a very intimidating place to travel to unless you do your research.

    One interesting thing I've read about Hong Kong is that it's not uncommon to be able to utilize technology that works with augmented reality (correct me if I'm wrong)?

    To clarify based from my understanding, augmented reality is where you could point an iPhone at a building to receive related information like the company webpage, and other information. Do they use anything similar to that in Hong Kong?

    Thanks,

    Zach Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Zach,

      I agree with you that Hong Kong can be a little confusing if you do not do you research. There are so many people and it's so big that you can easily get lost. However, English is a standard language spoken in Hong Kong as well as Cantonese and Mandarin. That being said, all their signs have English on them and they speak English in the subways too. Commuting in Hong Kong using the subway is extremely convenient and fast unlike our c-trains.

      Hong Kong is technology driven and people there are huge Apple fans. Everyone there is either using an iPhone or Android device so you would be able to utilize augmented reality using the applicable apps on your phone. When you're in the buses or subway, you see everyone staring on their phones.

      Joey

      Delete