Friday, November 2, 2012

Two Olympics, Two Great Travel Experiences (Part Two)

The 2012 Summer Olympics- London
(Part Two of Two)


What an experience!

To travel overseas has been a dream of mine for my whole life. I finally got that chance thanks to being accepted into a promotional program for a major tech company a year ago. As an Olympic sponsor, they chose me to be part of a group of tech-savvy individuals promoting their newest product at the Olympics in London!

 (I’m being intentionally vague here, as I don’t have permission to write about that program in this blog!)

My excitement was bubbling over approaching the trip! On July 23rd, I departed for London. It was a breathtaking flight watching the sun set, only to see it rise again a few hours later! Also, I had a perfect view of the Olympic rings cut into a field outside London as my flight approached Heathrow!

These Olympic rings were actually cut manually using oxen!

After arriving at Heathrow, a friend advised me to get off the “Tube” at Westminster Station instead of Waterloo, which was slightly closer to the Premier Inn County Hall, my amazingly-located hotel. I was rewarded with a great view of Big Ben as I stepped out into London sunshine. (Yes, sunshine! It hardly rained at all over the three and a half weeks I was there!) That night, I went with my colleagues to a great pub where I had my first pint of “bitter,” a traditional English beer. I found it to be very tasty.

Walking across Westminster Bridge for the first time! Yes, that building was my hotel!

The next morning, I slept through TWO alarms. That was my first notable experience of jetlag! Oops!  
Over the next few days, I was busy worked with my colleagues who hailed from around the world, attending a few orientation sessions. Whenever I could, I took in the excitement of London. It was a delight drinking really good tea and reading the Daily Telegraph every day. Nights were often spent walking along the Thames, under the London Eye just outside our hotel.

 A beautiful night!

We watched the Opening Ceremonies at a small community viewing. This was wonderful, as the happiness Great Britain felt reminded me much of how Canadians felt during the Vancouver 2010 Olympics! The next day, we went to our work sites all over the city. I was one of the lucky few who was chosen to demonstrate products to fans in Olympic Park for a week and a half!

I loved demoing tech products for Olympic spectators from all around the world! Every morning, I could hear fans roaring from the Aquatic Centre and Riverbank Arena at the far end of the park!  We had long days of work, but it was worth it! We had great meals together at the end of every day!

My first Olympic event I was given tickets to was the men’s table tennis semi-finals!  If table tennis sounds like a yawn to watch, it wasn’t. China dominated the games we watched, and I was stunned by the power and agility of these athletes. At times, it looked more like a full-sized tennis match!

The athleticism made this very unlike ping-pong games in my basement!

Days later came a handball quarterfinals match between Hungary and Iceland! This 11 vs. 11 team sport, where players dribble a ball and throw it into a net past a goalkeeper was exciting to watch! With Hungary down by one with seconds to go, their goalkeeper made a save on a penalty shot, and Hungary tied it with two seconds left! They went on to win the game after four periods of extra time!

An unfamiliar, but exciting sport!

Olympic Park featured beautiful touches of nature. I loved spending many of my lunch breaks in “Park Live,” a grassy picnic area where Olympic Events were shown on big screens. Every Team GB medal was cheered loudly!
Wildflowers in Olympic Park!

My favourite event I was able to see was the Women’s Gold Medal soccer match between the USA and Japan. I was hoping and praying Canada would be in that game, but I savoured the experience of being at Wembley Stadium with over 82 000 others!

I was excited for my first professional soccer game!!!

As the Olympics wrapped up, we went on the Harry Potter Studio Tour, I saw Shaklespeare’s Globe, rode the London Eye and enjoyed our farewell dinner at Jaime Oliver’s “Fifteen.” I will write more blog posts on London itself. It is an amazing city that cannot be summed up in one post!

My second Olympic experience was a wonderful chance to experience Great Britain! I just hope I get to go to Sochi in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment